[ale] Wireless networking suggestions wanted

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 27 17:05:19 EDT 2003

>What are the setups ALEr's use?  Linksys?  Belkin?  M$???
 I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router. $79.99 at Best
Buy.

>How well to integrate it into DSL or Cable internet?  (want to use laptop to
>surf from my lounge chair)
 I've got Earthlink DSL, and the Linksys was dead simple to setup with
it.  I'm still working on getting a few things setup, like port
forwarding and creating a static IP for the Linux box. However, I
purchased it yesterday afternoon and was up and running within fourty
five minutes of install, part of the time spent re-arranging cables. I'm
sharing the connection between my (wired)  Slackware desktop and my
(wireless) G4 PowerBook running OS X with a built in Airport Card.
The range seems to be fairly decent, I have coverage all over the
apartment, and even in the laundry room in the basement of the building
I live in. I'm sure there is always more to be done security-wise, but
the router makes it fairly easy to enable WEP, change the router passwd,
and to allow by specific MAC address.

...alan

--
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
                -- Martin Luther King, Jr.