[ale] Gates: Microsoft IP Finds Its Way Into Free Software

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Sun Jul 27 15:30:06 EDT 2003

> > Well, in a loose sort of way, Gates is right in saying that
> there is
> > Microsoft IP in other products,
>
> Don't even go there.  This is completely bogus.  The IP is  the
> knowledge one used to create a product.  That knowledge is in no way
> 'stolen' when you create a different solution for an existing product.

Would this also apply to to programs that competed against M$ in a retroactive sense?  I think of Apple, OS/2, and PCDoS predomantly.

> If we're not careful, the whole defintion will change, and
> that is what
> Gates is wanting.  First one there wins.  No need for patents now, if
> you build it first, it's your IP and no one else can build
> it?  That's a
> complete crock of shit.

LOL, Geoffrey said "shit"!!!

> So we'd all be driving Fords?
>
> Gates is doing what he does best, comparing apples to rocks
> and people
> are buying...

True but the timing is great for them to do this.  SCO brings a suit, M$ starts pointing fingers, it's all geared toward propaganda.  M$ has Longhorn in the wings to "save us all", they have got to create a reason for people to migrate or else their earnings will suffer.  They don't want another release event to sell 4 copies like ME did.

> Until later: Geoffrey         esoteric at 3times25.net
>
> The latest, most widespread virus?  Microsoft end user agreement.
> Think about it...

Still at work,
Preston

(thanks for the laugh Geoffrey, I needed it today...)