[ale] Job requirements

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sun Jul 27 14:45:12 EDT 2003

On Sunday 27 July 2003 10:43 am, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> Welcome to the new world of business...
> Shame really, but it's the face of things to come.
> All those old fashioned ideals of honesty, integrity, and hard work have
> gone the way of the dodo bird.
> Just look at the business landscape today.

Has the thought occurred to anyone that these unrealistic and sometimes
impossible requirements may be there just so the recruiter / hiring person
can say in a polite way, "sorry, you don't meet our requirementts", rather
than say, "Sorry, you're too [old | young]  [black | [white | asian | latin]
[female | male] [straight | gay] for us"?

"Well, your honor, Calvin didn't meet our requirements for 20 years of
.NET experience"

"But you hired someone with even less experience than Calvin...."

"Yes sir, but she lied. She was dismissed as soon as we found out"
(translation: when we found out about this lawsuit)

Regards,
Irv