[ale] Job requirements

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 26 07:49:50 EDT 2003

Stephen Touset wrote:
> I've been looking on monster.com for a new job. I've already got one as
> a network administrator, but I'm doing it mainly out of curiosity (to
> see if there's anything better out there, and what I'm "qualified" for).
> However, I'm noticing that most of the job listings have requirements
> that are, frankly, obscene. There of plenty of jobs whose objectives I
> *know* I can do (hell, I do most of them now), but require knowledge far
> past what is needed to complete them. Has anyone else noticed an extreme
> disparity between the skill level a job requires, and the skills
> required to even be considered for the job? If so, it seems that
> companies are wasting significant resources hiring highly overqualified
> people when someone who'd be willing to work for half the cost is
> perfectly suitable for the job.
>
> Then again, I also may be overestimating my capabilities. I wonder which
> is more likely.
>
> Stephen Touset

You're just pointing out the reality of this job market. If a company
gets 1500 or so resumes for a low level position, they figure they can
afford to be choosy. So, they put in every requirement on their wish
list. There are a couple of things you can do:

1. Only apply to companies where you know somebody. This is one of the
few ways you can overcome a qualifications deficit. If you don't have
good buddy at a place, look for any connection, no matter how tenuous.

2. Barring #1, tailor your resume for the company's requirements.
Sending the same resume to every company just hurts you.

Another fact about this market: Lots of companies are hiring through
temp agencies first, so they won't have to make the full benefits
commitment before they know if the demand will last. I got hired at
Equifax through Kelly Services.