[CHAOS] Re: [ale] Package Management System

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Fri Jul 25 20:51:49 EDT 2003

On Friday 25 July 2003 20:34, Debrihmi wrote:
> I've been eyeing SuSE myself.  I'm very impressed with the 8.2 Live CD;
> and now that I know that the deps are handled, I might have to break down
> this up coming month and pick it up..

As an avid Slackware bigot/evangelist I naturally prefer Slack packages due
to the simplicity. Normally I build everything from source and then build
my own packages using checkinstall. That being said, I am fully aware that
this is not going to cut it for most users. Therefore I second the Yast/RPM
combo. I have toyed with it a bit and found it to be an excellent tool.
However, I didn't get a chance to investigate how it verifies MD5
signatures on the fly. Anyone care to investigate? I do not have an install
to look at right now.

More on Slack packaging and checkinstall. A lot of folks argue that
Slackware is not suitable for use in a large install base because the
updates are so difficult to deliver. Combining server standardization in
specific roles can alleviate this problem. I have personally seen Slackware
8.0 running on 84 machines in a data center staffed by 2 admins. I watched
them deploy an OpenSSL update in less than an hour to all servers after
spending 20 minutes downloading the new source, then compiling and building
the package on a test machine. A bit o' perl thrown into the mix had all
machines updated in no time flat. I happily sat there and took notes. :)

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security