[ale] Package Management System

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Fri Jul 25 20:21:13 EDT 2003

> Hello there!
>
> Most everybody agrees that one of the greatest stumbling
> blocks to the mass
> adoption of Linux is this Package Management System (or lack
> there-of)..
>
> If one a Package Management System were to be adpoted across
> the board, what
> would you vote for, AND WHY..  Or do you think we should "go
> back to the
> drawing board?"..
>
> ~
> Debrihmi

I have noticed that most distro's are evolving into a somewhat Debian feel to package management.  In Mandrake there are provisions for apt sources, you have the red carpet used in several distrobutions, of course apt-get in Debian, and SuSE is using YAST.  All of which are now (to varing degrees) taking care of dependancy issues and keeping up with version numbers, so to that effect I don't feel that package management is as great a stumbling block as it once was.

I think it could be better in some areas, but that has to do more with distros playing with the librarys instead of keeping things "standardized".  An example would be downloading a single binary that would run effortlessly on SuSe, Red Hat, or Mandrake.  No looking for a -mdk or such in the file name.

--
Preston

"Some guy breaking into a government computer system and wreaking havoc makes for a more interesting movie plot than some guy writing device drivers. It's hard to work in a good 10-minutes car chase scene with some

guy who writes device drivers..." - tjc, post to LWN