[ale] Roll your own distro...

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 24 13:23:15 EDT 2003

> I agree with your comments, as I didn't explain clearly in my first post
> that
> I will accept a floppy image (I'm using Tom's Root Boot disk, now) or
> mounted CD Linux
> as the basis for the build.
> I just don't want anything on the HD except pristine code (such as
> gnu.org or kernel.org, etc. code)
> which I have downloaded. I don't want anything from any other distro's site.

Then you really would want to use Knoppix since it gives you a full distro
with compilers to work with. And it runs completely off of CD without
putting anything on the HD unless you specify it. Also you get networking
auto configured so that you can pull stuff down.

But as you've already figured out, all systems have to be bootstrapped
somehow. Knoppix gives you a full fledged environment to do so.

BAJ