[ale] samba question

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Thu Jul 24 10:39:04 EDT 2003

hi folks,
    we use a mandrake 8.2 box as our file/web server.  it is behind the
Emory U. firewall.  we turned off our ftp server at that address, and were
only using AppleShareIP for file transfer (mostly because our labs were all
Mac...however, that has recently changed.  we now have Windows boxes, and we
need to provide SAMBA to our clients).
    AppleShareIP (via netatalk) is functioning perfectly.  Yesterday, I
activated SAMBA on the same server, tested it with my own and a couple of my
clients login/passwords (from an on-campus IP), it seems to work...but I
tested it from an OS X box.  Now, my clients are asking me to fix this
problem, and I don't know how yet:

> Bob,
>
> Could you please give me some details on how to access my files if I use
> Windows (XP/2000) from flowcore-ftp.rmy.emory.edu?
> I found a computer with that name in My Network Places (I searched for it)
> but when I try to map for it or open it it tells me that I do not have the
> appropriate rights/permission and that the list of server for this workgroup
> is not currently available.

I've been hacking at this on a Dell laptop (Win2k Pro) at home, connected
through my firewall to the Emory network via VPN, and haven't been able to
get it to work.  I can, however, connect my G4 OS X laptop to this server
(from home, through my firewall, via VPN), and it works fine.  So, the
problem is with Windows (yay!).  Anybody have any hints?  Care to walk me
through setting it up via "My Network Places"?  I hate myself for asking on
this list, because the problem is NOT with Linux (or OS X, for that matter),
but a keyword search via google hasn't turned up squat (I DID find all kinds
of info on how to connect a Linux box to a Win2k network!).

-Bob K.
--
Robert E. Karaffa, II
e-mail: rkaraff at emory.edu