[ale] SCO Tells Linux Users: Time To Pay Up

Ray Knight audilover at atlantabroadband.com
Thu Jul 24 00:18:21 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 12:33, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Preston Boyington wrote:
>
> > SCO Tells Linux Users: Time To Pay Up
> > http://tinyurl.com/hot3
> >
> > So SCO is planning to send individual users a bill for using Linux?
> >
> > to quote jim from a different list:
> >
> > "One has to wonder if this is not an attempt to get money from those without
> > the funds to mount a legal defense."
>
> Jim may be partially correct (IMO), that SCO is working on getting funds
> from those who cann't mount a real defense. I would also expect it to be
> a tactic to bolster the suit against IBM, since paying up would be taken
> in court as agreeing with SCO's position. (I'm not sure I phrased that as
> clearly as I might want, so anybody who wants to write cleanup for me is
> hereby invited.)
>
> I wonder what SCO's next move will be to bolster their court case and
> continue to raise funds to go to court with?
>
> <<snip>>
> --

I don't think SCO has a leg to stand on.  If the Linux kernel is in
violation of their copyrights than how come they are still distributing
it with under the GPL at
ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/Workstation/current/SRPMS
There is are various 2.4.13 kernel source rpms at this location.  And
I'm sure if you look around you could find even more recent kernel
source somewhere on the site.  In fact I just found various 2.4.19
kernel source rpms at
ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/scolinux/server/4.0/updates/SRPMS  So SCO itself
is distributing the Linux 2.4.19 kernel under the GPL as of 7/24/2003.
Now tell me why I need to buy a license?

Ray