[ale] Tax Free Day goodies

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Jul 23 21:51:05 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

[...]

    Christopher> Before you fanboys go crazy, I plan on running the
    Christopher> desktop headless.  In fact all my boxes except for
    Christopher> the desktop are headless under console management.

Erm, if you're going to run it headless why an eMac with a built-in
monitor . . . the whole thing's a head (the vintage original iMac I
have is becoming an X terminal once the Fletchlings start to need to
run anything more demanding than `Blue's ABC Time Activities' under
OS 9.2).

    Christopher> What I look for on the OS X box for interoperability
    Christopher> is good emulation when I run SSH.  To run my Linux
    Christopher> programs from the servers I'll use a lot of 'ssh -tCX
    Christopher> <host> <program>' That includes X redirection.  I'm
    Christopher> hoping that since OS X has gcc I can port what I need
    Christopher> over so the environment can be really seamless.  I'm
    Christopher> looking for the goodness and multi-media ability of
    Christopher> Mac hardware with the beauty of UNIX underneath.

You want to look into Fink, which is basically a cross between Debian
apt-get and the FreeBSD ports collection (you can install precompiled
packages using the former, or compile them from source with the fink
utility).  10.2 doesn't come with the X server but it's only about a
150M download (counting the development package).  I've had pretty
good luck with most everything I've tried to compile (even some
ancient code posted to comp.sources.games in 1984 ran fine after
tweaking to work with termios).

Not to sound like a member of Aquaholics Anonymous, but I've been very
satisfied with my G4 (aside from the G5 being announced 1.5 months
after I bought it; thanks, Steve *grumble*).  I think I'm about ready
to break down and pay for CodeTek Virtual Desktop to get back
focus-follows-mouse (although I'm trying Space.app before I shell out
the whopping $30), but other than that I'm pretty much a convert.

Now if I only can finagle work into getting me a Powerbook . . .

    Christopher> Does the eMac come with a Unix Ware license or do I
    Christopher> need to buy that separate?

Riiiiight.</Dr Evil> :)

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=