[ale] Tax Free Day goodies

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jul 23 19:50:06 EDT 2003

I'm thinking of picking up an eMac at Microcenter on
Tax Free Day to run OS X.  So I thought I'd ask some
interoperability questions.  I am going to replace
my current Linux desktop at home with this new box.

Before you fanboys go crazy, I plan on running the
desktop headless.  In fact all my boxes except for
the desktop are headless under console management.

What I look for on the OS X box for interoperability
is good emulation when I run SSH.  To run my
Linux programs from the servers I'll use
a lot of 'ssh -tCX <host> <program>'  That includes
X redirection.  I'm hoping that since OS X has gcc
I can port what I need over so the environment
can be really seamless.  I'm looking for the goodness
and multi-media ability of Mac hardware with the
beauty of UNIX underneath.

Does the eMac come with a Unix Ware license or
do I need to buy that separate?

Chris