[ale] password management

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Jul 23 16:44:37 EDT 2003

> You'd want at least 10 characters for routine use.  15
> letters would be
> much better.  My "strong" passwords are longer than that and
> non-trivial.

<kidding>
since everyone assumes that I am security minded as I use Linux, I simply use "password" for all my logins and keep my servers at their default.  _that_ way they won't _ever_ hack my system as they will be using complex algorithms and brute force attacks that ignore defaults since no one in their right mind would use these.

my backup password is "pleasedonthackme" (don't tell anyone ok?)
</kidding>

seriously though, are not pass phrases better?  I know they are a pain, but a couple of sentences with intermittent characters should be better than a single word, correct?

(sets some money aside for Mr. Toxen's book.  hopes there is a recipe for his secure bbq in back)

Preston