[ale] password management

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Jul 23 15:35:04 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:32:49PM -0400, J.M. Taylor wrote:

> Jonathan Rickman said:
> > On Wednesday 23 July 2003 12:00, J.M. Taylor wrote:

> > Internal hostnames are not always the same as published dns records.
> > Insiders might have a slight edge, but they would have to know that you
> > are  actually using the hostname. I do not actually use the hostname.
> > Just  providing an example.

> Of course you don't, I think I asked my question badly per ususal. :)

> Let's take any string that's common to any set of passwords (ie, some
> systems use the username as a salt, or some such), my question is more --
> does it matter in a brute-force or even educated-guess type attack?  Or is
> the complexity of

If I obtain the encrypted password, this probabl could be cracked in a
week or two of GHz computrons.  If an attacker has a 1000 stealth
compromized systems to churn with, he gets must faster results.

> enough to foil those kinds of attacks? It certainly *seems* safer than me
> making up a longish random password that I have to write down until it's
> memorized...

Is it safer?  You're comparing the "crackability" of a password against
the physical security of a handwritten password.  Someone who would try
to physically enter my secure offices or remove my wallet probably is
carrying a gun.  The only such person would be a professional infiltration
of one of my larger clients.

He simply will point a gun to my head and security will be compromized.
A "two-bit" mugger won't bother with slips of paper with "gibberish" on
them.  That's sufficient security for all but the most demanding needs.

> jenn
Bob