[ale] password management

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Jul 23 11:04:37 EDT 2003

I keep 2 copies of my password list.  The first is in my home directory
at home as well as work.  It is gpg encrypted with a 2048bit key.  If I
need an individual password I don't have memorized:

gpg -d passwords.txt.gpg | grep host

Puts it to my screen and not on disk.  I also keep a copy of this file
on a USB memory stick on my keychain.  It's very easy to keep these in
sync with rsync.

The second copy I keep on my PalmPilot.  If you go to:

http://www.linkesoft.com/secret/

You can get "Secret!" for PalmOS which is 128Bit encryption, autologout,
etc.  This is great if you also get "SecretDesktop" which can read a
PDA's sync'd files from Intellisync.  Basically I can keep up small
changes easily or I do this when a major password change happens:

Sync my Pilot
gpg -d passwords.txt.gpg
copy the output of the gpg to a certain samba shared folder (I do this
  at home only)
Open the file on the share in notepad
Open SecretDesktop
Paste the info into SecretDesktop