[ale] password management

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Wed Jul 23 10:45:31 EDT 2003

Does anyone have any good tips on how to manage passwords?  I did a
quick tally today of how many passwords we need to keep track of and I
stopped at the 100 mark.  We use passwords for different boxes, vendor
services (T1 management websites, etc)., client files (pgp), client
websites, phone systems, jetdirect boxes, all-in-one copiers, email
clients, routers, vpns, etc...  I'd like to implement LDAP here, but I
can't convince management to let me spend time on it (just to make my
life easier).

Sooo....

What I was wondering is if anyone has any tips on how they keep track of
many UID/signon/passwords.  I've seen keychains, etc, but I'm sure I
want to key about 100 passwords into a little keychain.  I currently
have them all written down on 1 page of a notebook (that I guard with my
life).  I know it's probably not best practice, but it's impossible to
keep all that stuff in [my] memory.  Does anyone have a good algorithm
for creating passwords that might make my life easier?  If comporomised
it would probably mean a world of hurt, but I need to come up with some
kind of solution...

What do you guys use (aside from LDAP or Radius)?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-CB