[ale] Chunk size on RAID arrays

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Jul 20 14:06:10 EDT 2003

	I am currently installing 3 Maxtor 200GB HD's on a RH 7.3 2.96-113 box in a
RAID 5 array and I have decided to use the ext3 journalling fs, in case I
someday want to switch to OpenBSD (which does not support the XFS fs).
However I was somewhat impressed by the XFS home page and what they are
doing.  If I was into terabytes of info, I would definitely want XFS.  And
it is supposed to even play nice with Samba !

	However, I have run up against another question - chunk size.  The drives
are all IDE Maxtor's running on an IDE controller card in a PCI slot (one
drive to one cable only).  The information that will be put on the array is
mainly mp3's, dvd movies, and just general crap from the family's
workstation pc's.  I currently have it at 32 (K), which the RAID HOW-TO said
was ok, however it later contradicted itself and suggested 128 K.

	So - any tips/suggestions/war stories dealing with the chunk size parameter
for RAID 5 arrays ????

	ok, I just saw Danny Cox's email and I might have to look at XFS again ...
runs at near I/O speed huh ? hmmm  That's definitely a pretty darned big
plus ! [Thanks Danny for the info and war story.  And thanks for the RAID
ALE talk also (too bad I was too ignorant to ask these questions then].

Greg