[ale] Memory aid requested

Jeff Rose jojerose at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 20 12:11:42 EDT 2003

> Jeff - Thanks for that tip - I don't think I've seen it before anywhere.
> You're correct about the level of intuitiveness, it approaches the blind
> randomness of a four year old child to find that.

I believe whole-heartedly in the idea that one should be able to figure
things out easily.  my wife constantly complains that I'm the typical
male who refuses to read instructions.  I believe that most things
should be intuitive enough that instructions are unnecessary.  For
example, my vcr is so convoluted that even instructions are difficult to
follow.  That is very poor design.  A good design will anticipate where
the user will look for things.  RH has gotten better overall in this
area but gnome seems to be less intuitive than it used to be.  The one
compliment I will give MS is that they have spent a lot of time with
this issue.  Too bad other, more important issues were neglected, i.e.
security.  But Linux developers tackled the difficult issues first, now
it's time to solve the little issues that users will want.

> Rambling around google and the web, I'm slowly finding out a little more
> on these menus. Information seems to be so sparse I wonder if anybody
> changes menus other than developers.

I test drove Mandrake 9 briefly and menus were changed within Nautilus
akin to ordinary file systems.  That was strange but makes more sense
than the RH9 way. Still, Mandrake was unstable on my box and has its own
usability issues.