[ale] What file system for a software RAID array ?

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 19 17:46:47 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 16:45, Greg wrote:
> 	I am currently installing 3 Maxtor 200GB HD's on a RH 7.3 2.96-113 box
> using the 2.4.20-18.7 kernel (w/an AMD 700MHz processor) and I want to use a
> software RAID 5 array.  I have heard that there are some problems with the
> ext3 fs and I was wondering if there is anyone who has any knowledge or
> experience on whether I should use the ext2 fs or the ext3 fs. I understand
> the benefits of journaling, but since this is a simple file server for my
> family, I would rather have a rock solid system then a fast system.  I will
> also be using the RAID array with Samba.

The ext3 file system is getting mature, and has been out for
some time. There were a couple issues with the journaling
implementation, but those have been fixed. If you are looking
for something easy to setup, ext3 is your friend. If you want
something that provides journaling and extent based allocation,
take a look at XFS and JFS. Reiserfs also stands out as a
great file system. I have yet to study it, so I cannot whole
heartedly recommend it.