[ale] Linux laptops (dell)

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jul 17 08:32:44 EDT 2003

I'm not sure what Dell's Linux strategy is.  I know a couple of years
ago they came out and stated they were to suppot Linux. I do not think
they have actually lived that claim.  Especially on their Laptops.  When I
was looking for a laptop I went to their site and could not find mention of
Linux support.  I ended up purchasing an HP ZE1250 that works great.  I
think that Linux statement was a marketing ploy to get people to at least
take a look at them.  I'm sure that Linux will run fine on their desktops
and servers but you have to be careful with laptops.  That may be
the main reason they do not claim Linux support on their laptops.

When I was working with Dell Corporate a few monts back the guy I was
working with told me that 80% of there buiness is PC (Wintel Crap).  That
portion of the business does not look past Windows.  The other 20% is
everything else.  Linux Clusters, Sun Servers, and Networking.  This
group will sell you Sun Equipment if you need it. They prefer to sell
yoo Dell Servers.  This group is alos responsible for the Linux stuff
on Dell.

Chris