[ale] OT: LCD Technology

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jul 16 22:19:11 EDT 2003

I'm now to LCD technologies so I thought I'd ask a few questions
here.  Mostly all I use at home are CRTs.

I purchase a Pyramid MV7SC 7.2" LCD on Ebay for my van.  It
claimed to be TFT and even the manual says it but
I'm doubting it.  I paid $100 for the product.

I have an Apex PD-650S portable DVD with A/V out.  I can
send the A/V signals directly to the Pyramid from the
Apex and view both LCDs side by side.  I'm seeing that
the Apex looks much better.  The Apex displays black much better.
On the pyramid you can not really get a black you can get
a dark gray but no black.  Watching different DVDs also show differences
between each one.  One example was Finding Nemo.  It is a colorful
movie so it provides a good color test.  No matter how hard I tweaked
contrast, brightness, and color I could not get as vibrant
colors as what was on the Apex.

Here is the link to the Pyramid:

http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=MV7SC

My main concern was the name Pyramid.  I knew that if
I did not like the LCD I could always resell on Ebay.  No
real big loss.  To me when I think Pyramid I think of
cheap car audio.  Flea market items.  I was skeptical of
their LCD but the price was so good I wanted to give it
a try.

Does anyone know if this LCD truly is TFT?  Is there
anything I should look for when purchasing an LCD unit?

Thanks,
Chris