[ale] Need a backup program

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 21:07:47 EDT 2003

It seems like this would be a pretty common need and I'd be surprised if it doesn't already exist somewhere.  I need something to help me back up many small files that don't change once they are created.  A few months ago I had I ripped almost my entire CD collection and then lost it to a hardware failure.  I'm ripping it all again, and I also have a growing collection of digital images.  My ideal backup program would monitor the directories where I keep these files and maintain a database of which files have been archived, and on which CD.  When the size of new files reaches the capacity of a CD or some other arbitrary size, it would prompt me to do an incremental backup.  It would also include a copy of the entire database with each backup so that if I ever needed to find a particular file, I'd know which CD it's on.

Any ideas?