[ale] USB Pen Drive Swapfile (Knoppix)

Debrihmi debrihmi at chaos706.org
Wed Jul 16 16:44:15 EDT 2003

I believe that it you have the USB Pen Drive connected upon boot, Knoppix
will automagically see it and mount it for you..  That's the setup that I
currently use to avoid blowing my saved data to oblivion when exiting Knoppix
if I forget to back it up (especially on other systems.)

~
Debrihmi

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:06:43 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote
> In a related question (haven't tried this yet) could I use a USB
> Pen device or perhaps a USB CF reader to mount a FS that
> I could write to? This way I don't have to write to the HD in
> my wife's laptop when I boot Knoppix? Has anyone done this?
>
> TIA!
>
> Jeff
>
> > Hello there!
> >
> > I have other question for you folks today.  I'm big on passing out
> > copies of
> > Knoppix Live CDs.  When I'm in a non-Linux environment, I make use of
> > Knoppix
> > to get my work done.
> >
> > Question:
> > Many times I'm confronted with a system that does not meet the minimum
> > RAM
> > requirements, since Knoppix loads the USB devices before the GUI kicks
> > in, I
> > would like to know how I could use a UBS Pen Drive as a swap file
> > device.
> > Yes, I do know that flash media has a limited lifetime and that swap use
> > would blow through a drive in no time (rated million read/writes per
> > cell),
> > but since the prices ARE going down (E-Bay 256MB $50) and I do NEED a
> > fast no-
> > nonsense and portable solution to 'extend' the specs on a machine, I'm
> > willing to give it a shot.
> >
> > How can this be done? (knoppix swap=/mnt/sda1)??
> >
> > ~
> > Debrihmi
> > --
> > Member, "Chattahoochee Area Open Source" (http://chaos706.org)
> > -=[ Ask me about Linux ]=-

> Dr. Jeff Layton
> Chart Monkey - Aerodynamics and CFD
> Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Company - Marietta

~
Debrihmi