[ale] Linux 2.2.19 IPCHAINS Firewall + FTP woes

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Wed Jul 16 16:43:54 EDT 2003

If I remember correctly, passive FTP is going to be nigh on impossible
with IP Chains, or rather, without connection tracking.  You're looking at
unblocking many high ports to allow FTP to bump you up to a high numbered
data port...afaik, it just isn't going to work out very well.

I *think* if you do active FTP it's 20 for the data port and 21 for the
connection but I've not actually ever set up anything that way. :|

I really hope someone else can be more helpful...when I was getting
started with ipchains the solution was to only protect ports 1024 and
below, or to not allow FTP, which is no kind of solution at all.

Good luck,
jenn