[ale] Linux 2.2.19 IPCHAINS Firewall + FTP woes

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Jul 16 15:58:01 EDT 2003

An associate has a linux firewall running RH Linux (kernel 2.2.19), ipchains
1.3.9 to protect a small firm (~5 users).  This has worked well in the past, but
now he needs to put a FTP server behind it (currently has webserver, and mail
server behind it).  It's been a very long time since I've worked with the 2.2.x
kernel, and an ipchains firewall for that matter, but I definately remember
losing some hair over trying to get FTP to work from behind it.  We can get to
the box, and log into the FTP server, but we are unable to get a directory
listing.  I have verified that ip_masq_ftp is loaded, but lsmod reports that
it's unused (see below).  Any ideas?  What am I missing?  Many thanks

lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ip_masq_ftp             3740   0  (unused)
ip_masq_portfw          2656  48

--
Nathan J. Underwood
nathan at cybertechcafe.net