[ale] wierd pppd problem

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jul 16 07:24:41 EDT 2003

Dow Hurst wrote:
> Via a quick glance, it looks like the client is passing info to the
> server such as the AutoPPP program name, linefeeds, and then the
> pap-secret which creates the "hit".  I may be wrong but that is what it
> looks like.  I think from what you said that the server just wants to
> start ppp and the client is getting to that point a bit slower.

Well, after digging through reams of info from google, I finally got it
to work.  Wierd thing though, I still don't understand why the output I
was seeing on the client was showing up in the server log, 'Plugin
passwordfd.so loaded.'.  Whatever.

I caught a small blurb something to the effect of 'some UNIX clients
will need to send AutoPPP explicitly.'  So, I fired kppp up in terminal
mode and played with it until I found that what I needed to do was send
an expect/send combination of:

expect denali!login:
send AutoPPP

or something to that effect.  I don't have the box in front of me know,
so I'm not sure about the actual send string, it might be /AutoPPP/, but
it's now working.

That's what happens when you upgrade a server and client at the same
time.  When the server was SuSE 8.1 and the client RH (don't recall the
version, 7.3 or possibly later), all worked fine.  I then upgraded my
server to SuSE 8.2 and upgraded the client to a faster box running SuSE
8.2 as well.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...