[ale] NTP oddities

Adrin haswes at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 15 22:31:00 EDT 2003

I at one time tried doing this with the ntpd.  If I had a power outage or if I set the
update rate to fast. I would have problems.  If there was a power outage or the CPU was
off from sometime. when I powered it back on the clock would be off by to much and ntpd
would not update the system time.  If I set the update/sample rate, what ever you call it,
to fast. I would find that the ntp server would block me.   The method I found that worked
best was to make a script that would run once a day and update the time from more than one
NTP server.  I put that in crontab and now I get a email notification.  Now does it help
keep me on time?

NO