[ale] e-mail address harvesting from web pages

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Tue Jul 15 20:05:57 EDT 2003

John, I've had good success (thus far) by visually obfuscating my email
address my website.  Something to the effect of:
cbergeron [at] somedomain [dot] NOSPAM com is what I currently use.  A
reader will most likely be able to easily figure out the email address,
and some easier obfuscation on the "mailto:" anchor tag will give your
less informed readers a little bit of a lead in how to send you email.
You'll ultimately come down to a user intellect level with your email
address.  By making your email address so obvious that any idiot can use
it, you'll open yourself up to machines that can do the same.  By
providing a layer of required human intellect, you may isolate the
lesser IQ'd individuals (ala, you can't use a true mailto: anchor), but
you'll make it more difficult for harvesters to email you as well...

Just my .02 pfenning -
-CB