[ale] FreeBSD

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Mon Jul 14 22:28:32 EDT 2003

>Subject: Re: [ale] FreeBSD
>From: Matty <matty91 at bellsouth.net>
>To: ale at ale.org
>Date: 14 Jul 2003 21:20:48 -0400
>
>FreeBSD and Linux work great when using the FreeBSD bootloader. Load it
>on the "/" partition, and tell lilo where it is.
>
>- Ryan
>
>On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 21:14, Cor van Dijk wrote:
>> Hello all
>> I would like to experiment with a "FreeBSD"  (4.7) set. It does not have
>> too much information with it. I am somewhat worried about their
>> bootloader, because I would like to use it alongside an existing Redhat
>> setup.
>> Maybe I should be worried about other stuff too.  The bootloader seems
>> quite different from the Linux one (lilo) and it appears that one needs
>> to put some sort of copy of it on every disk in one's system. Their
>> website (www.freebsdmall.com) is not much help, mostly books for sale.
>> Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance. Cor van Dijk.

FreeBSD can be booted by LILO as well, as I've been doing for years now.
I think that's the scenario Ryan mentioned; use the FreeBSD bootloader
and just make sure LILO knows about it in lilo.config & you should be ok.
I've heard that Linux can be booted by FreeBSD's boot manager as well
but haven't tried it - I think it would actually transfer control to
LILO (or grub, etc) in that scenario {shrug}.

-kc