[ale] LDAP and Windows authentication

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Mon Jul 14 17:23:42 EDT 2003

hi folks,
    we use a linux (mandrake 8.2) box as our web and appletalk/appleshare
server, and all of our Macintoshes run MacLogin as authentication method
(MacLogin runs at boot, requiring the user to login before continuing
bootup.  Our Linux box holds the user database, so authentication is done
via a network connection).
    We've just acquired a Win2k box that will reside in one of our labs, and
it controls a piece of lab equipment that currently is staff-only access
(our facility staff, that is).  However, we will, in the future, give
limited access to this computer and machine to a small group of our users,
and in that regard, would like to protect the console from random idiots and
savants.
    We've seen some apps that use an LDAP authentication method (I think
it's called "Windows Login Integration"), where the Windows user database is
held on a remote server, and the local workstations look to the remote
server for authentication (much like our current setup...only different...).

    Anyone here have any experience setting up an LDAP server on Linux?  Is
it possible to use it in this fashion, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

-Bob K.
--
Robert E. Karaffa, II
e-mail: rkaraff at emory.edu