[ale] yellow dog linux 3 on old G3 powerbook

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Mon Jul 14 12:49:54 EDT 2003

Jenn,
    OS X will run on that old PowerBook, I believe.  Check out XPostFacto:

<http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/framework.cfm?page=Compatibi
lity.html#Powerbooks>

It's not perfect, but support is pretty good, and it's worth the $10 to
subscribe to the forum.

I've used XPostFacto to install OS X on an old G3-upgraded 7300/200 (now
300MHz) and OS 10.2.6 is very stable on it.  I use that old box as a
multimedia server for my house LAN.  200Gb Firewire external drive, ATTO
ultraSCSI card.  The only drawback I see in your case is hard disk size.  OS
X is a disk-space pig and likes lots and lots of RAM.  Lemme know if I can
help.

-Bob K.

on 7/13/03 10:24 PM, J.M. Taylor at jtaylor at onlinea.com wrote:

> No, I'm not a mac True Believer so I don't know whether this is a "Kanga"
> or "Wallstreet" or "Mainstreet" or any of that. It's a 233mhz powerbook, I
> know it's one of the first couple released so I can't put osX on
> it...which means it's basically a paperweight right now because I can't
> even put new apps on the thing.
>
> I would dearly love to breathe life back into this, it has served me well
> for a long time and I don't want to sell it.  Long story short, I've been
> trying to get the thing to boot to the Yellow Dog Linux install CD for an
> hour and still no luck. I've been all over the YDL site and it all seems
> to assume you can either successfully boot to their CD and read the
> instructions, or already have YDL installed.
>
> I have installed almost all of the major linux distros for intel, but have
> never tried to do anything with any other architecture. I admit I'm
> baffled. Are there any how-to's for the totally mac-stupid that someone
> could point me to, or can anyone help me out with this process?
>
> Barring that, does anyone want to buy a PowerBook G3 that would be great
> to run linux on?? ;)
>
> thanks
> jenn

Robert E. Karaffa, II