[ale] Customizing KDE

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 12 15:44:15 EDT 2003

Debrihmi wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> My name is Debrihmi..  This is my first post on your mailing list..  I'm from
> CHAOS706.ORG which is the Columbus LUG..  I would like to get to know you
> folks and since I have two questions, now would be a good time to introduce
> myself..
>
> Questions (both about KDE):
> - I'm using KDE 3.0; how do I set my taskbar (kicker) to be transparent?

You have to add a program for this. Search for "transparent kicker" at
kde-look.org.

> - How can I change the KDE cog icon on the Launch Button to an icon of my choice?

The easiest way is to change your default icon set in Kcontrol. But if
you know what icon set you're using, just go to the directory where your
icons are. On my box, it's:

/usr/local/kde/share/icons

Within the icons directory, you will find several different sets of the
same icons in different pixel sizes. You're looking for either 32x32 or
48x48. Within both of those directories is a sub-directory called
"apps". The icon for the Kmenu is called "kmenu.png". Replace it and
Kmenu has a different icon.

If you want to customize the look of KDE, then the place to look is always:

http://www.kde-look.org