[ale] Wirless NIC Advice

Kilroy, Chris Chris.Kilroy at turner.com
Fri Jul 11 14:14:18 EDT 2003

I snagged a new Lucent Orinoco Gold card for $45 on ebay.  You can buy them for as cheap as $57 or so from a "real" online store.   I have only used it with my wife's laptop (WinXP), so i cant comment on how well it works under Linux, but speaking on the hardware front, it is awesome.

I've heard nothing but good things about it.  More detailed infoz here:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html

->
->
->I'm building a laptap (old Dell Pentium III 500 MHz something
->or other) and purchasing a wireless NIC PC card for it.  I'll
->probably try to install SuSE Linux on it (because I've had
->good luck with SuSE installs in the past).  I'm looking at a
->Netgear (good luck with Netgear and Linsys equipment in the
->past and this is the cheapest) MA521 (802.11b) ($45) and was
->wondering if anyone knows:
->
->1) Will I have driver issues?
->2) Is there a better (cheaper/reliable) deal?
->
->Thanks,
->John Marasco
->