[ale] fun and games

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Jul 8 11:00:11 EDT 2003

> hey im looking for fun things to do with linux and also what
> are some good
> games out there? has wine actually matured enough to support
> games well?
> ya know that sorta thing :) but not just games what other
> things do you
> guys do for fun on a linux box? building special linux systems for
> example.
> thanks :)

i picked up a couple of Virgin Connect units a few months back and have Peanut Linux running on one (using the ROM chip).  another i am tinkering with is getting Debian with Fluxbox.  will use it for a bedroom unit to play my audiobooks and other ogg files with mp3blaster.  they have wireless keyboards and a built in trackball so it's a nice little package.  in the coming months i will try a wireless setup with them as i want to be able to go outside and relax while i surf.

since they are not powerful i am using them as part of a terminal/server setup, but no problems as yet.

as a side note (although not directly related) i am in last stages of designing several haunted houses for some clients.  i have the sound effects, house music, lighting effects, and most of the automations running on a linux box.  (PIII 800, 512mb, 20GB, Debian 3.0)  a couple of years ago we had a walk through scene that featured several computers with BSOD's.  several people got the joke and caused repeat traffic as people found Tux, the BSD Demon, and other references to computers through the house.  our "Borg" even said he ran on "DOS" in tribute to his master.  to it's fun to be able to work linux into things like this.

preston