[ale] problems with ncd explora 701 thin client "X-terminal" and netscape and mozilla

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jul 7 16:53:31 EDT 2003

On Monday 07 July 2003 02:34 pm, Van L. Loggins wrote:
> We are having problems with netscape (anything newer than version 4.7)
> and mozilla and how they work with the built-in video cards of our NCD
> Explora 701 thinclient terminals. I thought it was a memory issue
> because they have 16 megs of ram in them out of the box, but I have been
> working with a upgraded terminal that has 96 megs of ram in it. This
> doesn't make a difference. It still takes the program window for mozilla
> or netscape more than a minute to refresh when accessed from the thin
> client terminals. I've heard firebird with be pretty light on the system
> resources, so that is a possibility, and having had a lot of problems
> with opera that is out of the question. How about Konqueror is it pretty
> stable and compatible with most websites? the video cards on these thin
> clients are set to 8 bit color.
>
> We need a mail client and a web browser that is graphical enough for the
> average user to be able to use, and relatively trouble free.

Konqueror is good enough for everyday use, IMO.  I use it that way.  There
still are occasional websites with javascript and/or i-frames it isn't
happy with.

Kmail is also good.  Given that you have thin clients, I assume that
lightweight is not as important as good, in which case kmail is a good
choice.  If you want lightweight then sylpheed is very fast and small, but
still easy to use.

Michael