[ale] Xcdroast on RH9 not reading disks

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jul 4 07:24:27 EDT 2003

George Johnson wrote:
> For some strange reason I cannot get it to read from one or the other
> drive. I have 2 cd burners (32x and 52x).  When I first attempted to
> disk copy it would not read from the 32x.  Now it will not read from
> either drive.  Each time I put a disk (burned or blank) xwindows
> comes up with a window with what is on the burned disk in a window
> and "burn///" at the top of another window for a blank.  For the cd
> with data on it there is an icon immediatly created for the desk top.
> It seems to me that this may be holding the drive up in another
> process so xcdroast cannot make use of it.  If this is true, how can
> I kill the auto open of every cd I put in the drive to keep it free
> for xcdroast to use?

That sounds like that's the case.  Seems you've got nautilus or some
other variant firing up when the cd is placed in the drive.  Likely,
xcdroast attempts to access the drive fail since the cd is mounted.  To
resolve the problem temporarily, kill the window that popped up showing
the disk contents, unmount the drive, either at the command line, or by
right clicking on the new cdrom desktop icon and selecting unmount.

You should then have access to the drive.  It's likely you've got some
auto mount program running, check out the entries to the drive in
/etc/fstab and see if this is the case.

I'm guessing at a lot of this stuff as I don't do xcdroast, but you
might find some value here. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...