[ale] IDE Raid Controller that works with Slackware 8.1 ?

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 2 19:06:43 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 10:06, aaron wrote:
> ...During his RAID presentation at last month's Central meeting Dan Cox
> suggested that some of the "hardware" RAID cards may be little more than
> drive controller interfaces that, in actuality, rely on the kernel level
> software RAID to function. A little extra "caveat emptor" may be in order for
> your search.

	To clarify, no, the cards don't rely on the kernel's software RAID
drivers.  They provide their own drivers, but it's still run by your
cpu, and it must reside in the kernel.

	If you can find a card that has it's own cpu (ASIC, microcontroller,
whatever) plus some RAM that'll be a much faster solution.  It'll also
be a lot more expensive!  But see Transams responce later :-(.

> In any case, is there a reason that you want to avoid the software RAID that
> is available for the Linux kernel? ( Dan didn't mention any big down sides,
> but then he wrote a lot of the code. ;-)  Or is it the case that the
> Slackware version of the kernel makes it difficult to incorporate the RAID
> options??

	Again, to calrify, I've know of very few lines that I've actually
contributed to the kernel RAID drivers.  I've read most all of it, but
I've not written a lot of the code.

Danny