[ale] Bellsouth vs. sendmail "smart host"

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jul 2 13:29:08 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 01:05:09PM -0400, Steve Tynor wrote:
[scissors of brevity]

Several people have been discussing this issue the past couple of days.
I guess the archives haven't archived them yet.  Here's a post from
earlier today that may help.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9

-- BEGIN included message

To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] Bellsouth Sendmail Fix
From: Ryan Neily <ryan at neily.net>
To: ale at ale.org
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 01:35:03 -0400 (EDT)
cc: Jeff Brodnax <tullyarcher at bellsouth.net>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:39:42 -0400
Sender: ale-admin at ale.org

I tried this below, and it seems to work for me as well.  Anyone know why?

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Ryan Neily wrote:

> So you're SMART_HOST line in your sendmail.mc file reads:
>
> define(`SMART_HOST', [mail.bellsouth.net])
>
> ???
>
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Jeff Brodnax wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:26:49PM -0400, Ryan Neily wrote:
> > >
> > > If this gets posted, I've fixed the Bellsouth no-relay problem that people
> > > has been complaining about.  I used some of the tips of James CE Johnson
> > > which is using Postfix.  My solution is using Sendmail, but works much the
> > > same...
> > >
> > > I added a redirect rule to my IPtables firewall script that redirects any
> > > traffic coming from port 26 on the localhost interface to the bellsouth
> > > SMTP server on port 25.  I used this iptables command:
> > >
> > > $IPTABLES -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp -d 127.0.0.1 --dport 26 -j DNAT
> > > --to-destination 205.152.59.16:25
> > >
> > > and then added the following directives to my sendmail.mc, m4'd it to
> > > sendmail.cf and it seems to be working:
> >
> > Hi I am a lurker, just wanted to share the work around I found for the
> > no relaying by bellsouth.net.  I added brackets.. ie.
> > [mail.bellsouth.net] to my sendmail.mc as the smart host.  I have no
> > idea what this does, other than it doesn't use the mx anymore just right
> > through the main smtp server.   Relaying works again.
> >
> > Jeff

Ryan Neily
ryan at neily.net

Random Quote:
When I hear a man applauded by the mob I always feel a pang of pity
for him.  All he has to do to be hissed is to live long enough.
		-- H.L. Mencken, "Minority Report"