[ale] Bellsouth Sendmail Fix

Jeff Brodnax tullyarcher at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 2 01:08:32 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:26:49PM -0400, Ryan Neily wrote:

> If this gets posted, I've fixed the Bellsouth no-relay problem that people
> has been complaining about.  I used some of the tips of James CE Johnson
> which is using Postfix.  My solution is using Sendmail, but works much the
> same...
>
> I added a redirect rule to my IPtables firewall script that redirects any
> traffic coming from port 26 on the localhost interface to the bellsouth
> SMTP server on port 25.  I used this iptables command:
>
> $IPTABLES -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp -d 127.0.0.1 --dport 26 -j DNAT
> --to-destination 205.152.59.16:25
>
> and then added the following directives to my sendmail.mc, m4'd it to
> sendmail.cf and it seems to be working:

Hi I am a lurker, just wanted to share the work around I found for the
no relaying by bellsouth.net.  I added brackets.. ie.
[mail.bellsouth.net] to my sendmail.mc as the smart host.  I have no
idea what this does, other than it doesn't use the mx anymore just right
through the main smtp server.   Relaying works again.

Jeff