[ale] IDE Raid Controller that works with Slackware 8.1 ?

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Jul 1 17:22:31 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:05:50AM -0400, Fletch wrote:

> The reason I was looking for hardware RAID rather than software is
> that the reason we want RAID is not for data redundancy but for
> hardware resillience.  If you're using software only then you've still
> got the OS booting off a single drive which means if you loose that
> drive you're screwed.  If the hardware is providing what looks like a
> single disk to the BIOS then it should still (hypothetically :) boot
> even if you've lost a disk.

One can get that hardware resillience by copying the kernel onto a
floppy for an alternative if the first hard disk fails.  (Cost is
5 minutes plus $1 for a floppy plus $30 for a floppy drive.)

When some hardware RAID controllers fail, you lose ALL data.  It happened
to a friend's Linux system at work.  This was a disaster as they were not
doing backups 'cause they had RAID.  This problem would not have happened
with software RAID.

> --
> Fletch                | "If you find my answers frightening,       __`'/|
> fletch at phydeaux.org   |  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'
> 770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
>                       |                                               U

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"