[ale] Stumper for you: XDMCP and NAT

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 1 12:17:21 EDT 2003

It all started with I bought a Netgear wireless broadband router for $36 from
the CompUSA. I figured it would allow me to replace my failing network switch
and add wireless connectivity for my laptop and ipaq.

Well Netgear, much to their credit, disallows the disabiling of NAT on the
unit. Since I wasn't planning on replacing my Smoothwall router, due to its
location in my basement, this has turned out to be somewhat of an annoyance.
I got over the first hurdle by substituting the router in the IP slot of the
primary machine I'm connecting to the router. I then opened up all of the
ports to point back to the original machine. So to the rest of my home network
the machine is back in the same IP slot as before.

Except for XDMCP. The silly protocol embeds the IP of the host in the packet.
Sigh. That means that it doesn't work via NAT because the address of the packet
is different than the address embedded in the XDMCP request.

Any ideas how to resolve?

BAJ