[ale] IDE Raid Controller that works with Slackware 8.1 ?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Jul 1 11:05:50 EDT 2003

>>>>> "aaron" == aaron  <aaron at pd.org> writes:

[...]

    aaron> In any case, is there a reason that you want to avoid the
    aaron> software RAID that is available for the Linux kernel? ( Dan
    aaron> didn't mention any big down sides, but then he wrote a lot
    aaron> of the code. ;-) Or is it the case that the Slackware
    aaron> version of the kernel makes it difficult to incorporate the
    aaron> RAID options??

The reason I was looking for hardware RAID rather than software is
that the reason we want RAID is not for data redundancy but for
hardware resillience.  If you're using software only then you've still
got the OS booting off a single drive which means if you loose that
drive you're screwed.  If the hardware is providing what looks like a
single disk to the BIOS then it should still (hypothetically :) boot
even if you've lost a disk.

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=