[ale] Re: alterntive to sendmail

Robert Gash gashalot at gashalot.com
Fri Jan 31 09:39:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:24:36 -0500, Armsby John-G16665 was overheard saying:
|  Just point me.  I can do my own reading...

For specific applications, qmail can also be a very elegant solution,
particularly if you're in the business of hosting Email for a number
of customers.  One of my biggest complaints about sendmail
configurations was the requirement to have a system user for each
maildrop, making it more confusing for users to remember their
username, which was likely not the same as their password.

vpopmail, an open source solution, was our answer.  Combined with
qmail, it provides a single-user mail delivery system that will scale
to thousands of domains, this helps increase security by allowing you
to only have a single system user that handles all of the Email
delivery for an arbitrary number of actual Email users.  Users
authenticate (POP3 or IMAP) with a username that is identical to their
Email address, only they replace the @ symbol with a % sign.  vpopmail
enforces mailbox quotas, keeps tabs on all of the Email users and
their passwords, allows you to keep configuration and authentication
information in a database (Oracle, Sybase, LDAP, MySQL) and integrates
with a very nice web based control panel (also open source) produced
by Inter7, the same people who brought you vpopmail.

If you're looking for this sort of functionality, check the website
out:

http://inter7.com/vpopmail.html

-R

Robert Gash, gashalot at gashalot.com