[ale] Which Distro should I use?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jan 30 15:12:12 EST 2003

Geoffrey said:
> I spread it around, so I can get the experience of the various dists.
> If I'm loading Linux on older hardware, particularily firewall
> implementations, I go with Slackware, which for me, has provided the
> smallest footprint of any of the major dists.

Yup.  I still keep the other distros around to play with and learn on a
few machines on my lan, and slack runs my firewall on an old Packard Bell
120mhz...but the two machines I do most development on run Red Hat...just
because I'm most comfortable that things will work when I want them to.
ymmv.

> I hope I did not give that impression.  I'm glad Red Hat is around.  I
> don't think they're anything like M$.  On the other hand, I think it's
> good that Red Hat has some competition.  Although I'm currently leaning
> towards SuSE, I recently joined the Mandrake Club as I feel they have a
> good distribution and having them around is a good thing.

Nah...just wanted to make sure someone put a plug in there for RH.  They
catch so much flack simply because they are the big guy, and because they
aren't afraid to make tough decisions (even though I don't always agree
with  them, I gotta respect them for that).  Just wanted to remind their
detractors that they are still a Linux company, and that they definitely
have their good points.

John