[ale] Which Distro should I use?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jan 30 09:48:17 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 09:23, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Thursday 30 January 2003 07:22 am, David Corbin wrote:
> > root wrote:
> > >I've been using Redhat for about a year now(please don't hate me) ;)
> > > and I've decided I should try another distro.  I'm interested in
> > > getting the level 1 LPI certification, I just wanted some input as to
> > > which would be the best for me to try out.  I can get my way around
> > > but I still have a lot to learn.  Any input would be greatly
> > > apprciated.  Thanks, Nick

As a current holder of LPI Level I certification, having missed Level II
by about 1 or 2 questions, I can speak with a bit of authority that if
LPI is your goal, you need solid familiarity with RedHat and Debian. As
all of the other distributions, notably excepting Slackware, are
derivations of these two, it makes the most sense to become proficient
in both RedHat and Debian.

As you can guess, the question, "Which is the best distribution to use"
sparks a(n) (un)holy war that leads to no good answers. Each is good and
crappy for different reasons. Roll dice, flip a coin, pick one and put
it one. Then either wipe the drive and install the other or add a second
hard drive or a new machine entirely. The point being to gain exposure
to more than one and see which one fits your personal tastes better.

 This is a digitally signed message part