[ale] The NOAA is portscanning me ...

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 30 08:47:39 EST 2003

...And the CIA put a chip in my brain...

Seriously though,  I'm on a DSL connection that I take up and down a
lot.  My IP address changes frequently as a result.  In my logs for the
past several days I've seen portscans from a single ip (205.156.51.200).
The ports scanned are in the 30,000-40,000 range.  Wondering how the
machine was consistently finding me, I did some checking:

% host 205.156.51.200
Name: tgftp.nws.noaa.gov
Address: 205.156.51.200

I run gkrellm with the weather monitor activated.  (It downloads weather
reports from the NOAA).  So I shut down gkrellm for a couple days now,
and the scans have subsided.

Does anyone know why I'd be getting probed just for downloading weather
reports?

--
Cory T. Echols          | "Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government
ctechols at mindspring.com | program."