[ale] DSL switch from Directv

Ray Knight audilvr at speakeasy.org
Fri Jan 3 00:38:03 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 16:37, Matt Kern wrote:
> Matt Kern wrote:
>
> > cfowler wrote:
> >
> >> Right now I see 2 options:
> >>
> >> Speakeasy and Speedfactory.  The only difference is that Speakeast gives
> >> us equipment free and not Speedfactory.  Any suggestions on what to do?

> > I placed an order with speakeasy on Dec 21.  It was supposed to be a
> > "hot swap" (not that thats technically possible with DSL service
> > anyhow, but thats another matter altogether).  I still haven't
> > received a loop install date.  Speakeasy blames it on Covad...said
> > they needed a little kick to get the order moving.  So far, I'm
> > impressed with the knowledge of the people on the other end of the
> > phone line, but execution is SERIOUSLY lacking at the moment.  On top
> > of this, DTV dropped my connection on the 17th, so I've been in
> > dial-up hell since.
> >
> > Just to clear up what is being offered at Speakeasy, since several of
> > the posts thus far have had differing info:
> >    - 1.5Mbits/128Kbits
> >    - Unlimited dial up
> >    - 5 email accounts (and aliases for each if you'd like)
> >    - 1 static ip (additional ip's up to 5 can be purchased for
> > $2.95/month).
> >    - WiFi sharing, home networking and server friendly TOS.
> >    - No activation charge and $199 rebate on hardware (effectively
> > zeroing out the cost of the hw).
> >
> > Also note that DNS is not provided with the package.  They also offer
> > an RPMfind server dedicated only to subscribers, and given the TOS you
> > could upgrade to the 1.5/768 package for 99 bucks and share it via
> > wifi with your neighbors and split the cost.
> >
> > Now, all that said...I'm not particluarly happy with my run-around in
> > getting my dsl back online.  So, at this point they're walking a very
> > fine line, and I may cancel for another subscriber at any time.  Ah,
> > thats one more negative...a 1 year contract with a $300 cancellation
> > fee.  From what I've seen on SpeedFactory, its $150 if you cancel.
> >
> > Outside Speakeasy and SpeedFactory our options suck...HellSouth and
> > Adelphia ( in my neck 'o the woods).  Though Adelphia is in Chapter 11
> > protection, they are offering a very attractive price (though in most
> > cases you get what you pay for, just ask an Adelphia tech what thier
> > throughput is...they're just powercycle drones).  They're offering
> > their powerlink cable network and Digital Basic cable tv, along with
> > 14 channels of HBO for 39.95 for the first three months, and 77.95
> > thereafter.  Tough to pass up, but I've been a customer of theirs in
> > the past, and have no desire to go back...even at cut rate pricing.
> >
> > Just my $0.02.
> >
> > /mk

> Oh, yeah.   Another point in speakeasy's favor...they did give me an
> unlimited dial up account to get me thru the down-time (which started
> two weeks ago for me).  Also, when I moaned about the hardware cash
> outlay...they gave me a free month to offset some of the cost.  And
> [...]

I originally signed up with Speakeasy 3 years ago.  In May of this year
I moved.  I had no problems canceling my DSL service with Speakeasy.
After a month of trying to get decent service with the cable modem at my
new home, I called Speakeasy and ordered DSL service again.  I got the
rebates even though I already had the hardware!  What a deal!  I also
was able to keep my original user name and mailbox.

Ray Knight