[ale] [OT] Good Server Documentation - Best Practices

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 29 21:07:39 EST 2003

Yeah, but if the only person with the root password gets hit by a bus...

At Emory, we had an envelope that was sealed that contained root and
admin passwords. But the paper inside had "match the machine to the
password" diagram. Machines on the left, big space, passwords on the
right. Then there were hand drawn line to connect the two. The passwords
were not in order as the machines. Then we tore the paper in half
lengthwise. one half went in a separate envelope. The halves were stored
in separate locations.

I had a copy of the entire list encrypted with a large key on my palm
pilot using gnu-keyring. So did the NT guy. We also had the password set
on the palm pilots so it was locked after a short time. The only way to
unlock it was to hard reset it, which wiped it. The database copy on the
backups was stored encrypted on the PC. Gnu-keyring would only run on
the pilot OS so it would have been very difficult to unlock it with out
a palm. Which would be a terrible environment to brute force from :)
Probably could have done it with the palm simulator for linux, though.
But my password was nearly 30 characters of complete gibberish.