[ale] May be of interest to some. Linux Cert.

Adrin haswes at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 29 20:38:21 EST 2003

I cut and pasted this out of an email I get from certmag

LPI and UnitedLinux Unite to Deliver New Certification
The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) has joined with UnitedLinux, an
industry initiative that streamlines Linux development around a uniform
distribution, to market and deliver a UnitedLinux professional
certification program.

"Three of the four members of UnitedLinux were charter sponsors of LPI
from its very beginning," said Evan Leibovitch, LPI's president.
"Caldera, which is now SCO, SuSE and Turbolinux were all charter
sponsors at the highest level for LPI right at the beginning when we
started out. Working together with UnitedLinux solidifies the fact that
these companies have determined that rather than create their own
certification programs from scratch, they prefer the idea of working
within a community framework and working together with LPI to do an
industry-wide standard certification as opposed to repeating the
problems of the UNIX days, where every company did its own certification
and its own UNIX and its own everything. The Linux world has learned
from those mistakes, so you have companies that would rather participate
in a  community project that's sustainable and respectable as opposed to
everybody going out and rolling out their own."

LPI and UnitedLinux will work together to design new exams specific to
UnitedLinux. When these exams are passed along with the existing LPI
Level 1 and Level 2 exams, candidates will be able to earn two new
UnitedLinux certifications. UnitedLinux is a partnership of Linux
companies, including Connectiva, The SCO Group, SuSE Linux AG and
Turbolinux Inc., that are working together to create a uniform Linux
distribution designed for business. UnitedLinux Version 1.0 was released
in November 2002, and this version powers products sold by the four
companies. Each company adds its own features and services.

According to Leibovitch, the momentum of LPI certification has been
building steadily and will continue to grow. "We gave our first exam in
the year 2000. Last year in April, we did our 10,000th exam. And last
year in December, we did our 20,000th," he said.

The new UnitedLinux exams will be available sometime in the first
quarter of 2003. LPI's existing Level 1 program consists of exams #101
and #102. With the addition of exam #103, which will be UnitedLinux-
specific, candidates will be able to earn the UnitedLinux Certified
Professional (ULCP) certification. The Level 2 program, which currently
includes exams #201 and #202, will be expanded with the #203
UnitedLinux-specific exam, which will lead to UnitedLinux Certified
Expert (UCLE) certification.

LPI's vendor-neutral certification exams are available at both VUE and
Prometric testing centers, as well as at various industry events, where
certificants can often take exams for free. LPI certification never
expires, and Leibovitch believes this sets LPI apart from many
certifications in the industry.

"You'll never find a university saying, 'Well you got your computer
science degree on mainframes; get it again on PCs or we're taking our
degree back,'" said Leibovitch. "Since that's not happening, why should
you ever come to a situation where yesterday you were certified and
today you are not simply because you're not upgrading your software?"

For more information, go to http://www.lpi.org.