[ale] alterntive to sendmail

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jan 29 16:29:09 EST 2003

You can allways roll your code.  Sendmail is a nice easy protocol.  But
it would be easier to fix your problems.  Sometimes realy must be turned
on so you can use the sendmail server as a relay host for your subnet.
That may fix your problem.

Sendmail is a beast which I do not even bother to try to understand.
But look at the sendmail FAQ and read an O'Reilly book on the topic.

Look at /etc/maill/access

# Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.11.6/README.cf file for a
description
# of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file)
# The /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.11.6/README.cf is part of the
sendmail-doc
# package.
#
# by default we allow relaying from localhost...
localhost.localdomain           RELAY
localhost                       RELAY
127.0.0.1                       RELAY
192.168.2.0                     RELAY

In the mail directory do a make then make clean then restart sendmail
after to modify this file.  I have examples for loopback and my local
subnet.