[ale] swap 2 fields (in a tabbed file)?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Wed Jan 29 15:06:08 EST 2003

Ok, a sample of the data is attached. I need to sort by the alphabetical
name of the second field I can do this easily using sort if I can swap
the fields from:

X\tY\n
to:
Y\tX\n

Your awk script worked, but it considered the ^M as a field it looks
like because it produced:
Y\nX\t

So i have a feeling we're very close. To the others that offered
suggestions, I appreciate it. I'm partial to learning awk so for this
run, i'm going to use it.

Thanks,
CB

Geoffrey wrote:

> Might you post one line of input to the list as an attachment? I (and
> I think others) are having a hard time determining the actual format.
> When you start dealing with funky (technical term) character combos,
> like carriage return and newline, perl is likely to be the easiest
> solution.
>

> Christopher Bergeron wrote:

 	VAN DRIE HOME FURNISH
 	VANNS APPLIANCE